Mini gastric bypass is a short, simple, and reversible laparoscopic gastric bypass popular for weight loss. This is a highly effective GI (Gastro Intestinal) surgery with minimal invasion also known as metabolic surgery. It helps you lead a healthy and fit life by addressing morbid obesity and related common complications.
It helps effectively manage metabolic disorders like diabetes (by reduction of insulin resistance) and high cholesterol. This bariatric surgery also helps address other obesity-related health issues like sleep apnea or hypertension.
The primary objective of mini gastric bypass surgery is to resize the stomach while reducing malabsorption. This helps to suppress appetite and eventually improve portion control which results in shedding extra body weight.
Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery Procedure
Laparoscopic mini gastric bypass surgery is the combination of the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy. The surgeon performs this surgery under general anaesthesia with a laparoscope and stapling gun. In this laparoscopic surgery, you can expect real tiny incisions (cuts) in the lower part of the stomach.
In this process, the surgeon will create a long pouch that can accommodate thirty millilitres in the stomach’s upper portion. This pouch is then connected to the minor part of the large intestine, while bypassing the initial 5 ft part of the small intestine.
The surgeon will staple the old stomach and separate the pouch created during this laparoscopic gastric bypass procedure.
If the procedure fails to yield satisfactory results, surgeons cannot restore the stomach and small intestine to their original state. Therefore, one should know appropriately about laparoscopic gastric bypass cost before undergoing the procedure.
Comparison of Mini Gastric Bypass with Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Laparoscopic stomach reduction by mini bypass has fewer risks compared to Roux-en bypass surgery. Further, it has a shorter period of post-operative care too. In mini gastric bypass surgery, there is less intestinal regulation.
Mini gastric bypass when compared with Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass is:
- Less risky technically
- Comparatively easy as a reversible procedure
- More effective cure for metabolic disorders like high cholesterol & diabetes
- Popular due to lower risk of dumping
Aftercare Instructions to Follow After Undergoing Laparoscopic Mini Gastric Bypass
After undergoing laparoscopic mini gastric bypass surgery, your surgeon will prescribe an intake of pain-relieving medications, multivitamins and nutritional supplements.
Here are some aftercare instructions to adhere to after undergoing mini gastric bypass surgery.
- Keep the incision area dry and clean
- Consume sufficient quantities of water and fluids to avoid dehydration
- Intake of a sufficient amount of B12, calcium, vitamin D, iron and folate is necessary
- The consumption of multivitamins is necessary to avoid complications
- Refrain from strenuous exercises or physical activities in 3-4 weeks post surgery
- Adhere to the diet regimen persistently as indicated by the dietician
- Avoid consumption of solid or hard food for the first one to two days
- Prefer pureed or soft foods for at least two weeks after this laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery
- Follow an exercise or walk routine based on the surgeon’s instructions
- Visit the clinic for follow-up every six to ten months as recommended by the surgeon
- Stay safe from dumping syndrome by avoiding sugary foods and beverages
Mini gastric bypass surgery is a ray of hope for people suffering from obesity and metabolic disorders. Since it is done through a laparoscope and offers numerous advantages like less pain, shorter hospital stay, quick recovery, and low risk, it has become a popular bariatric surgery in the last 5 years.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Mini Gastric Bypass Procedure?
The primary parameter for undergoing this laparoscopic gastric bypass operation is the patient’s BMI which should be greater than thirty and less than forty.
If your BMI lies within this limit, your health disorders will subside with mini gastric. But if you are over forty, you must follow a strict diet plan first. This diet plan will help in reducing your BMI.
Here are some other factors that make you suitable for undergoing mini laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery.
- If you are suffering from disorders like unregulated overeating and binge eating
- Addicted to sugar-rich food items
- If you have constant cravings for foods and beverages containing higher calories
- If you cannot control your appetite, a mini gastric bypass is suitable