Bariatric Surgery is truly a life-changing surgery! It can help with a new chapter in your life towards a HEALTHIER YOU! Find an apt solution with the Best Bariatric Surgeon, Dr. Vikas Singhal.
Bariatric surgery is the only proven method which helps with sustained weight loss over a long term and gives you significant long-term health benefits like the resolution of diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol, obstructive sleep apnea, etc. in more than 3/4th of the patients. It can help you lose around two third of the fat. Most importantly, it can give you a “good quality of life”. Planning a surgery but worried about the expense? Find affordable Bariatric Surgery Cost with Dr. Vikas Singhal.
What is it and how does it work?
Weight loss surgery, also called Bariatric Stomach Surgery, alters the digestive process so as to achieve rapid weight loss.
The surgery will either:
1. Limit how much the stomach can hold (Restrictive Surgery)
2. Limit how well nutrients are absorbed in the intestine (Malabsorptive)
3. Limit how much the stomach can hold and limit how much nutrients are absorbed in the intestine (combined).
Weight loss surgeries commonly performed:-
1. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
2. Laparoscopic Gastric bypass (Mini-Gastric Bypass or Roux-En-Y- Gastric Bypass)
3. Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band
1. Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: It generates rapid weight loss by restricting the amount of food that can be eaten, it involves the removal of two third of the stomach. It is a restrictive procedure and patients feel satisfied after very small meals. It also decreases levels of “Ghrelin”, the hunger hormone that stomach produces. The expected loss of excess weight is approximately 60-70%. Bariatric Sleeve Surgery is now becoming the most frequently performed weight loss surgery worldwide.
- Excellent weight loss results.
- The procedure can be performed in around 1-2 hours.
- No rearranging of the anatomy.
- Less need for multivitamin and calcium supplementation
- As the major portion of stomach is removed, it is not reversible. It can be converted to almost any other weight loss procedure.
- Some patients feel heartburn or acid reflux symptoms. The treatment for the same is available.
2. Gastric Bypass:Bariatric Surgery Bypass works by cutting the stomach into a small pouch and connecting it to the small intestine. This results in both reduced food intake and absorption as well. This is, therefore, a combined restrictive and malabsorptive procedure. This leads to a loss of about 70-80% of excess weight. Patients also get “dumping syndrome” if they eat sugary food.
- Most effective and time-tested procedure for weight loss.
- Great procedure for patients with uncontrolled diabetes or reflux disease.
- Requires lifelong vitamin and calcium supplementation.
- You can never smoke as smoking leads to frequent ulcer formation (We consider this as an all-around health advantage).
- Cannot take all anti-inflammatory medications, your doctor can suggest the best.
3. Adjustable Gastric Banding (also known as the LAP-BAND): In this procedure, a hollow, inflatable band made of silicone rubber is placed around the stomach near its upper end to create a small pouch and a narrow passage to the rest of the stomach. To change the size of the passage, the band can be loosened or tightened which is done by adjusting the amount of fluid in the inflatable band. This is a restrictive procedure with loss of 40-50% of excess weight. Looking for the best Bariatric Surgery Hospitals in India? Pay a visit to Medanta, The Medicity.
- The band can be removed.
- No removal of any part of the stomach or intestines with a short recovery period.
- No nutritional deficiencies.
- Highest long-term complication rate amongst the bariatric procedures such as band erosion/migration/balloon leakage.
- Requires frequent visits for optimal adjustment.
- Less effective with people who have sweet tooth.
Who is an ideal candidate for weight loss surgery?
- People who are tired of trying non-surgical approaches to lose weight can certainly be benefitted by bariatric or weight loss surgery.
- You may be a candidate for weight loss surgery (Asian population) if you have BMI over 37.5 or BMI more than 32.5 and serious obesity-related health problems such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, sleep apnea etc.
Benefits of Weight Loss surgery
Apart from losing the excess weight, it has great effects on weight associated comorbidities. Most of the problems are cured in majority of patients.
Some of the benefits are given below:
- Type 2 diabetes – 82% complete resolution.
- Dyslipidemia (High cholesterol) – Improved by 70%.
- Hypertension (High blood pressure) – 62% resolution; 79% show improvement.
- Cures obstructive sleep apnea (Excessive snoring associated with obstruction of air flow to lungs) – improved in 80%. This is a serious medical condition which is underdiagnosed and can lead to heart failure.
- Better heart health.
- Cure for asthma.
- No more back strain and disk disease.
- Treats arthritis (Hip and knee pain needing joint replacement over the long term).
- Acid reflux disease is minimized.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and cirrhosis (liver failure) can be cured.
- Cure for stress incontinence (Leakage of urine on straining).
- Treats PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome ).
- Reduces intertriginous dermatitis.
- Minimal pseudotumor cerebri (Headaches, nausea, visual disturbance).
- Cures Depression.
With all these benefits, multiple studies have now shown that there is a prolongation of life in patients undergoing bariatric surgery – with a significant 89% decrease in mortality at 5 years. In the study by Christou et al, they showed that in the control group the mortality was 6.17% at 5 years compared to 0.68% for patients undergoing bariatric surgery (Christou et al. 2004). For more information, consult the leading Bariatric Doctor, Dr. Vikas Singhal.
JOURNEY TO WEIGHT LOSS & FITNESS
Weight loss is not an event in one’s life but a journey, which can be easier if you have some support along the way! This is what we want to provide as a team at our Centre. Morbid obesity frequently is associated with so many severe and chronic medical problems We do a detailed comprehensive evaluation to help optimize your medical condition before the surgery so as to get the maximum benefits and minimize the risks associated with surgery.
The first step in the process is the “Initial Consultation”, in which we explain the process to you in detail including the types of surgery, expected benefits, and risks of them, what to expect before, during and after the surgery. This will help you understand the procedures and help you make an informed decision about what would be the best for you. Being well informed prior to the surgery helps to enhance long-term success.
Consult the eminent Bariatric Surgeon, Dr. Vikas Singhal today!
Revisional Bariatric Surgery Video
Make an Appointment
Send your request and let one of our experts care about it.